Friday, May 7, 2010

The First Casualty

Tears well up in my eyes as I bid a sad farewell to Duncan Hines brownies, those delicious, easy, parve-o-licious treats that fill my belly almost every Shabbos. While I am a cooker, I'm not much of a baker (who has the time?), so Duncan Hines brownie mixes are the perfect solution to a husband who loves chocolate and a wife who likes the ease of combining a bagged mix, oil, water, and eggs.

Who can forget the near-tragedy a few years ago when Duncan Hines stopped being parve for a short while? After rushing the stores and buying out all of the parve brownie mixes they had in stock, I actually signed a petition to bring back the parve status! My social activism was a success, and they regained their parve-ness within months.

Last night, as I was about to begin making my favorite Shabbos dessert, I noticed the label of darkness:

MANUFACTURED ON EQUIPMENT THAT ALSO PROCESSES PEANUTS AND TREE NUTS

Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought DH was going to cry. I thought I was going to cry! This is the first significant victim of our newly nut-free kitchen.

Darn you peanut-ridden equipment. Thank goodness the cake mixes are a different story.

Goodbye old friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment